For puppies 8 to 16 weeks.
What You'll Learn
The first weeks of your puppy's life at home are critical for socialization and learning about their new world. Proper exposure to, and learning about people, dogs, sights, sounds and smells help to teach your puppy all about being a part of our world. If we don't do this properly, it can lead to serious behaviour challenges as an adult dog. The Puppy Primer class focuses on proper socialization, laying a good social foundation and dealing with the most common issues that come up when bringing a new puppy home.
- Puppy Socialization: Exposure to other puppies, people, smells, textures, sights and sounds in a safe, controlled environment. Discussion on how to properly socialize your puppy out and about in the real world.
- Potty training: Getting puppy to pee only where you want them to. Includes crate training.
- Biting and nipping: Stopping the pain and destruction of puppy teeth on our skin and clothes.
- Chewing: Keeping our furniture safe.
- Intro to a harness and leash, and to leash walking.
- Drop it: Stop having to wrestle gross items out of your puppy's mouth.
- Jumping: Teach puppy how to greet without jumping up.
- Helping develop their confidence, setting them up to avoid future problem behaviours.
- Puppy's focus and attention on you in distracting situations.
- First set of core vaccines or positive titer test
- Puppies must be 8-16 weeks of age
Class dates & length:
Classes are 1 hour each consecutive week for 4 weeks (long weekend excluded). *Registration is on an ongoing enrollment basis, see below for details.
WE DO NOT OFFER MAKE UP CLASSES
Our Puppy Package combines the set of 4 classes with a 1.5 hour private coaching session for that little bit extra to help you start your puppy off on the right paw for life. This sessions must be used before your last class.
Clicking on the pay with Paypal button during registration will allow you to pay with Paypal, Credit or Visa Debit.
*Ongoing enrollment, see below for details
*Our class enrollment happens on an ongoing basis. This means you can enroll at any time and start your first class as soon as there is an opening once you have registered and received your orientation package. You attend your class for 4 consecutive weeks (stat holidays excluded). Due to class popularity there can be a delay getting you started, but we do our best to get you in as soon as possible. To ensure that you receive the benefit of the entire curriculum, the class you select (above) during registration is the class you will complete your set in.
Why join a class?
Current research shows that the primary and most important time for puppy socialization is the first three months of life. During this time puppies should be exposed to as many new people, animals, stimuli and environments as can be achieved safely and without causing overstimulation, as per the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour. For this reason, the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour believes that it should be the standard of care for puppies to receive such socialization before they are fully vaccinated.
This means puppies can and should be socialized properly and safely as young as 8 weeks. In keeping with this research puppies are welcome in our classes with their first core set of puppy vaccines and a negative fecal test (for parasites). However, in order to keep our puppy classes a safe place for puppies to socialize, we recommend that you not take your puppy to public dog parks while you are attending puppy classes with us. Please feel free to contact us should you require more information as to why we have this recommendation.